Rocky Mountain Highs, Midwestern Sensibilities....

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tales of a March Madness Widow

What does wife do why Doug watches NCAA basketball? Bake, of course! Not to say that I don't enjoy watching too. College basketball is one of the few sports I enjoy watching on tv. College basketball is also more fun to watch with a warm chocolate chip cookie in hand. But that's another post.



I've made these banana oat muffins a few times and they are tasty enough to forget that they are actually not too bad for you. You can make them in the time it takes to make and drink a cup of tea. I've experimented with different flours and may try to substitute some flax seed next. The basic recipe comes from Deborah Madison.

2 large ripe bananas
3/4 c buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, use regular milk and add 3/4 tsp vinegar)
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 TBSP vegetable oil or melted and cooled butter
1 c rolled oats
1.5 c flour (I like 1/3 whole wheat and 2/3 all purpose)
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1.5 tsp baking soda (1.25 tsp for high altitude)

Preheat oven to 375 (380 high altitude). Spray muffin tins or use liners.

Mash the bananas, then mix with buttermilk, sugar, egg, and oil, then add the oats and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and nutmeg. Pour into the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Fill the muffin tins to make 9-10 muffins. Fill the empty cups with a little water. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and springy when you push the top.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Looks tastey! Liz, if you need a break from all the basketball, give us a call and we all (minus Doug) could go Rock Climbing, play Rock Band... anything with rocks in it...